Springy Cocktails for Front Porch Lounging
It’s officially spring, which means it’s time to turn off Netflix, migrate from the couch to the porch, and invite the crew over for some cocktail-infused conversation.
And while the margarita and mojito might seem to have the warm-weather cocktail market cornered, whiskey drinks—when done right—can actually be just as refreshing on a hot day.
The trick is matching the right whiskey to the right mixer. We’ve got you covered. Below are some of our favorite whiskey cocktails for sitting on the porch, hanging with your crew, refreshing cocktail in hand. Can you picture it?
The Blackberry Lemon Rye Smash
Known for its complex flavor and bone-dry palette, rye is a great complement to sweeter, fruit-filled drinks. That’s why it’s the perfect choice for this fruity, herbaceous, and perfectly refreshing classic with a twist.
- 2 oz. Cask & Crew Rye Whiskey Blend
- 1/2 oz. lemon juice
- 6-7 mint leaves, muddled
- 2-3 blackberries, muddled
- 3/4 oz. simple syrup
- 1 oz. club soda
- cup of ice
- In a cocktail shaker, combine mint leaves, lemon juice, and blackberries. Muddle well. Add whiskey, ice, and simple syrup and shake vigorously.
- Pour full contents into a glass and top with club soda and ice. Garnish with a mint leaf.
Spring Ginger Lemonade
Lemon and ginger are a classic combo, and for good reason! Spicy ginger pairs with tart lemon for a dramatic punch of flavor. Not to mention both are known to be a cure for a myriad of ailments, especially those related to digestion. So not only is this ginger lemonade incredibly tasty and easy to put away by the pitcher, but when you think about it, drinking one is basically the same as eating a salad!
- ¼ cup lemonade
- 1.5 – 2 oz. Cask & Crew Ginger Spice Whiskey
- ¼ cup club soda
- sprig of rosemary to garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, combine lemonade, whiskey, and club soda
- Shake vigorously and pour over ice.
- Garnish with rosemary sprig or mint leaf.
Maple Mint Julep
This Southern classic is revered for its simplicity. Just add fresh mint and a splash of water to our Walnut Toffee Whiskey for a cool cocktail that’s almost tooooo easy to make 😉 The Walnut Toffee Whiskey is perfect because the nuttiness works well with the earthiness of the mint, and the sweetness acts as a substitute for the commonly used simple syrup.
- 1.5 – 2 oz. Cask & Crew Walnut Toffee Whiskey
- fresh mint leaves
- Muddle mint leaves, add a splash of water, and the whiskey.
- Top with ice and garnish with a mint leaf.
Summer in Manhattan
For those more inclined to sip slowly on a spring or summer day, the Summer in Manhattan is a great alternative to the classic. With such a small ingredient list, just adding citrus transforms the staid Manhattan into a vibrant summer staple.
Replace the cherry with an orange peel, add a dash of lemon juice, and voilà! – it’s a whole new drink to be enjoyed at a rooftop shindig or just chilling on a porch swing.
- 1.5 – 2 oz. Cask & Crew Rye Whiskey Blend
- ½ oz. sweet vermouth
- one squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- dash of bitters
- orange peel to garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, combine whiskey, vermouth, and lemon juice.
- Shake vigorously and pour into a chilled glass.
- Add a dash of bitters.
- Run the orange peel around the rim of the glass and rest on top of the drink as a garnish.
There are few pleasures greater in life than simply getting outside, breathing fresh air, and enjoying the turn of the season. Around here, we call it unplugging. Just bask in the return of the porch, the deck, the lawn…smell the newly budding flowers, laugh with your crew, and as always…take the time.