Cinnamon Rolls with Orange Roasted Whiskey Frosting
- ¾ cup warm milk
- 2 ¼ tsp active yeast (1/4-ounce package)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk, room temp
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 cups bread flour
- ¾ tsp salt
For the filling:
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 ½ tbl ground cinnamon
- Zest of 1 orange
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
For the frosting:
- ½ cup Cask & Crew Orange Roasted Whiskey
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 tbl unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Add warm milk to the bowl of an electric mixer and sprinkle yeast on top.
Tip: yeast has activated if it begins to foam after a few minutes. If it hasn’t, then start over; your milk was either too hot or too cold.
- Once yeast begins to foam, add in sugar, egg, egg yolk and butter. Mix until well combined. Stir in flour and salt with a wooden spoon until a dough begins to form.
- Place dough hook on mixer and knead dough on medium speed for 8 minutes. Dough should form into a nice ball and be slightly sticky. (If you don’t want to use an electric mixer, you can use your hands to knead the dough for 8-10 minutes on a well-floured surface.)
- Transfer dough ball to a well-oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a warm towel. Allow dough to rise for 1 hour to 1 ½ hours, or until doubled in size.
- Transfer dough to a well-floured surface and roll out into a 14x9 inch rectangle. Spread softened butter over dough, leaving a ¼ inch margin at the far side of the dough.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, cinnamon, and orange zest. Use your hands to sprinkle mixture over the buttered dough, then gently rub in into the butter a little. Tightly roll dough up, starting from the 9 inch side and place seam side down making sure to seal the edges of the dough as best you can. Cut into 1 inch sections with a serrated knife. You should get 9 large pieces.
- Place cinnamon rolls in a greased 9x9 inch baking pan or round 9 inch cake pan. (Recommend lining the pan with parchment paper as well, in case any of the filling ends up leaking out.) Cover with plastic wrap and a warm towel and let rise again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap and towel and bake cinnamon rolls for 20-25 minutes or until just slightly golden brown on the edges- under bake them a little so they stay soft in the middle, that’s why just slightly golden brown. Allow them to cool for a 5 minutes before frosting. Makes 9 cinnamon rolls.
To make the frosting:
In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, Cask & Crew Orange Roasted Whiskey and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and fluffy. Fold in orange zest. Spread over cinnamon rolls and serve to your crew!