- 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- 1 tsp star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 tsp whole fennel seed
- 1 piece fresh ginger peeled
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Toast peppercorns, star anise, cloves, and fennel in a dry medium skillet over medium heat, tossing and stirring frequently until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add cinnamon stick, ginger, sugar, and water and place over medium high heat. Cook, stirring, until just starting to boil.
- Cover and remove from heat. Let rest for 2 hours.
- Strain into an airtight container. Five-spice syrup lasts up to 2 weeks in the fridge.